- UX Vision
- Are our perceptions of crime informed by reality? We want to surface the truth of crime rates in of LA.
- 3 member team project. Specific responsibilites: research, interface, presentation narrative.
- Data visualization of crime in Los Angeles.
- Fall 2014.
- Data Visualization Studio, ArtCenter College of Design, Pasadena CA.
We want to spread knowledge of the types of crimes occuring in the city in the hopes of leading to greater action.
- And How?
Real data · Multiple metrics · Digestible
- Data is sourced from the LAPD.
- Multiple metrics surface previously unseen correlations.
- Make the clear enough to glance.
3 key use cases
Contextualizing the design
The student was the primary use case of our 3 personas. The student's goal is to educate herself on if her perceptions matched reality. We expect most users to use our visualization to inform themselves in this manner. The Activist and Coordinator users are both specialized cases with a goal in mind. We designed multiple modals of displaying data to cater to the Activist and Coordinator personas. We presented the project under the lens of our personas in our final presentation to the class.
- Total Entries
- Data Source
- 7 Data Fields
Incident ID, District,
Area, Date, Time,
Call code, Call text
Thinking in dimension and time
I drew on my experience playing games to inspire my explorations. Our dataset was full of opportunity - it was geographic, and therefore dimensional. We decided on time as the primary way to navigate the visualization because of how it framed the context of the type of crime committed. Perhaps our perception of certain activity happening at night is incorrect? This carousel explores how the visualizations evolved from a 3D space to a 2D map.
- Contraints of Data
- We ideated multiple narrative hooks for the project such as weather affecting crime rates. We had to kill some interesting proposals because we could not find a dataset to back up our claim.
- Data Neutrality
- It was our responsibility to bring the dataset to life in a authentic and neutral fashion without bias.